How to Tell If Your Foundation is Damaged
Los Angeles Foundation Contractor shares warning signs of foundation damage
The signs of a damaged foundation aren’t always obvious, especially if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Some of the signs of foundation damage that you should look for include:
- Sloping, or dipped floors, especially if the height difference is more than an inch over a distance of 15-20 feet.
- Cracks in interior drywall
- Cracks on exterior surfaces including stucco or brick.
- Uneven walls or floors. If you push a squared piece of furniture up flush against the wall, and notice a gap at the top or bottom edge, this can be a sign of floors that are not level or a damaged foundation.
- Drywall curving inward or outward. One indication is nails popping out of the wall, but you can also check with a vertical level.
- Gaps in the caulking around windows.
- “Sticky” doors and windows. A shift in the foundation can prevent them from opening and closing properly.
- Wrinkled wallpaper
- Soft spots in the ground around your house.
If you notice any of the issues mentioned above, you won’t necessarily have to replace your foundation. It is often possible to repair milder foundation damage, preventing further damage and leaving your home’s foundation stronger than before. Find a local foundation contractor that specializes in foundation repair and replacement in your area.
Julian De La Torre, founder and owner of Julian Construction, stated: “Keeping your home’s foundation in good repair is so important, it’s the first thing we look at when we go to a home with structural problems. And maintaining the foundation will prevent more serious problems from occurring in the future. Always get your home’s foundation inspected on a regular basis. It’s important for the safety of your home.”
Julian Construction owns its own company and is built on a “no middlemen” model – no salesmen, no subcontractors. When you work with Julian Construction you get the principals of the company and workers of Julian Construction under your home. The result is the highest quality work at affordable prices. They can be contacted by phone at 323 733-3377, by fax at 323 733-4477 or via their website, www.julianconstruction.com. You can see tips and advice about home foundations on their blog.