The Definitive Guide to Foundation Repair
There’s always something that needs repair or replacement when you own a home. While it’s easy to put these things off, foundation repair is something you should never delay.
If you’ve noticed foundation problems or warning signs in (or around) your home, waiting to get your property inspected can increase your costs.
There are a number of warning signs that can indicate your home foundation may be in need repair or replacement. As a homeowner, it’s important to pay special attention to the following:
- Doors or windows that stick or that do not open correctly.
- Cracks in your foundation walls.
- Cracks in the exterior walls of your property.
- Cracks in the interior walls of your property and ceilings.
- Walls that are starting to separate from the adjoining walls, floors or ceilings.
- Uneven or sloping floors.
If you’ve noticed any of the above warning signs around your property, contact Julian Construction today. We’ll send one of our foundation inspectors to your property to assess the damage and come up with a cost-efficient, specialized plan for repair or replacement.
There are various methods for repairing home foundations. Some of the most common forms of repair are the following:
- Adding a “sister foundation”: This is the process of adding a new foundation along the inside of the existing foundation. It’s an extremely cost-effective solution for repair.
- Jack and lift: If you’re floors have become sloped or uneven, chances are you’ll need a jack and lift to bring the foundation back to a level position.
- Underpinning: If your property is suffering from uneven soil settlement, installing steel reinforced concrete can circumvent poor soil conditions and prevent future settlement issues.
- Foundation replacement: If repair is no longer an option, foundation replacement is the process of removing the existing foundation and replacing it with a new one.
Any time you’ve noticed foundation degradation and/or warning signs, it’s essential to identify the root cause of these issues and seek repair as soon as possible.
The longer these issues are left unchecked and unresolved, the greater the likelihood total foundation replacement will be needed.
At Julian Construction, we specialize in repairing and replacing all types of foundations – from stilt foundations, to brick/unreinforced masonry foundations, to raised foundation and concrete slab foundations.
We tailor each foundation repair to the individualized home, ensuring that all repairs are done with the greatest efficiency, both in cost and time.
Julian De La Torre is an expert in Los Angeles foundation inspection, foundation contractors, earthquake retrofitting, and foundation repair. Julian’s company, Julian Construction, has inspected over 30,000 structures, working with engineering firms and local departments of building & safety.